- There are no future events planned.
- President Donald Trump's Turnberry faces Open wait as Royal Troon named 2023 host
- Open Championship to return to Royal Troon in 2023
- McIlroy moves past Faldo to third on world number one list
- American Reed seals one-stroke victory in Mexico with McIlroy fifth
- Hovland wins Puerto Rico as Scotland's Laird fades
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Justin Thomas one ahead, Rory McIlroy four behind
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Bryson DeChambeau one ahead, Rory McIlroy three back
- World number one McIlroy leads by two after first round in Mexico
- I'm out - McIlroy won't play in Premier Golf League
- McDowell thrilled to be in first WGC field since 2016
Author Archives: Peter Taylor
Golf is a game of many parts. Sometimes it pays to take a “helicopter view” of your game , so that you can focus your attention on the areas of your game that need improvement.
This is where the Golf Analysis Wheel can help you. Commonly used by coaches, it helps you consider each area of your game in turn and assess what aspects needs more attention.
You are learning to be the best golfer you can be, but this requires not only technique and physical ability, it requires mental toughness, characteristics of confidence, courage, patience, and commitment.
You can learn to master the fundamentals of the inner game.
Mental toughness (tenacity) is fundamentally about managing our fear in all its guises. ‘Fear’ or what is considered the mind-body’s natural response, alarm and unease, to the perception of not feeling ‘safe’. The key belief to adopt is “whatever happens I will handle it”.
Let’s start with one element of mastering our thoughts – ‘Outcomes Thinking’.
Whatever that is in your world, local Club Championship, Monthly Medal, the British Open. How do you apply the very best in mental skills to prepare?
Bad news first, ideally any preparation for this would need to already be in place i.e. to not do anything different that you would apply to any game, except where you are adding additional interference by thinking more about it.
Good news, I’m determined to live in the real world and give you something really useful to recognise most of you don’t have sound mental routines and habits in place and this match is one that you might start thinking about preparing.