- There are no future events planned.
- Carly Booth: Scottish Golf defend player over Saudi Arabia federation deal
- Sport on the BBC: Best of this week's TV & radio coverage
- Paul McGinley wants 'festival feeling' around Irish Open at Lahinch
- Irish Open: Ryder Cup star Ian Poulter to compete at Lahinch
- Lalla Meryem Cup: Meghan MacLaren aims to top Ladies European Tour Order of Merit
- Wrist injury forces Wie to take break from golf
- RBC Heritage: CT Pan wins first PGA Tour title with one-shot win
- Henderson defends title to tie Canadian record
- RBC Heritage: Dustin Johnson one ahead of Shane Lowry and Ian Poulter
- Masters 2019: Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy & Francesco Molinari feature in shots of the tournament
Author Archives: Peter Taylor
Golf is a game of many parts. Sometimes it pays to take a “helicopter view” of your game , so that you can focus your attention on the areas of your game that need improvement.
This is where the Golf Analysis Wheel can help you. Commonly used by coaches, it helps you consider each area of your game in turn and assess what aspects needs more attention.
You are learning to be the best golfer you can be, but this requires not only technique and physical ability, it requires mental toughness, characteristics of confidence, courage, patience, and commitment.
You can learn to master the fundamentals of the inner game.
Mental toughness (tenacity) is fundamentally about managing our fear in all its guises. ‘Fear’ or what is considered the mind-body’s natural response, alarm and unease, to the perception of not feeling ‘safe’. The key belief to adopt is “whatever happens I will handle it”.
Let’s start with one element of mastering our thoughts – ‘Outcomes Thinking’.
Whatever that is in your world, local Club Championship, Monthly Medal, the British Open. How do you apply the very best in mental skills to prepare?
Bad news first, ideally any preparation for this would need to already be in place i.e. to not do anything different that you would apply to any game, except where you are adding additional interference by thinking more about it.
Good news, I’m determined to live in the real world and give you something really useful to recognise most of you don’t have sound mental routines and habits in place and this match is one that you might start thinking about preparing.