- There are no future events planned.
- Injured Koepka replaced by Fowler in US Presidents Cup team
- Ex-Ulster fly-half O'Connor to caddie for McIlroy in Dubai
- 'I'm still worried' - Ko in fitness race for season finale and record prize
- Hong Kong Open postponed amid 'social unrest' in city
- Brandon Todd seals back-to-back PGA Tour wins with Mayakoba Classic victory
- Fleetwood second in Race to Dubai after Sun City play-off victory
- Wilson climbs as Lombard retains Sun City lead
- Nedbank Golf Challenge: Lee Westwood shares fourth as Louis Oosthuizen leads
- Matthew to captain Team Europe again at Solheim Cup
- Syme relishing European Tour return after losing card
Golf is a game of many parts. Sometimes it pays to take a “helicopter view” of your game , so that you can focus your attention on the areas of your game that need improvement.
This is where the Golf Analysis Wheel can help you. Commonly used by coaches, it helps you consider each area of your game in turn and assess what aspects needs more attention.
You are learning to be the best golfer you can be, but this requires not only technique and physical ability, it requires mental toughness, characteristics of confidence, courage, patience, and commitment.
You can learn to master the fundamentals of the inner game.
Mental toughness (tenacity) is fundamentally about managing our fear in all its guises. ‘Fear’ or what is considered the mind-body’s natural response, alarm and unease, to the perception of not feeling ‘safe’. The key belief to adopt is “whatever happens I will handle it”.
Let’s start with one element of mastering our thoughts – ‘Outcomes Thinking’.
Whatever that is in your world, local Club Championship, Monthly Medal, the British Open. How do you apply the very best in mental skills to prepare?
Bad news first, ideally any preparation for this would need to already be in place i.e. to not do anything different that you would apply to any game, except where you are adding additional interference by thinking more about it.
Good news, I’m determined to live in the real world and give you something really useful to recognise most of you don’t have sound mental routines and habits in place and this match is one that you might start thinking about preparing.